Friday, January 29

Wake of a Tragedy

Yesterday afternoon, I was informed of the death of Rich Key, one of my colleagues here at West Nairobi School.  Rich was our Athletic Director and Community Development Coordinator.  His wife Shauna is our kindergarten teacher.  They were just married this past summer.  
School was cancelled today for students, but our faculty and staff met this morning at 10 am to gather and pray for Shauna and for their families.  We’ve been praying this year for Rich’s mom, who has stage 4 breast cancer.  I cannot even imagine how difficult this must be for dear Shauna and Rich’s family.  
Several years ago, a beloved physical education teacher fell dead on the field from a heart attack after dismissing a class.  The same year, a male WNS student was in a tragic accident.  The AIM plane crash which killed two local missionaries in August has also left a crater here in the Nairobi missionary and expat community.  No one is expecting the next days and weeks to be easy.
I know that God is good and that He’s sovereign, but it’s difficult to understand times like these.  Please join us in praying for Shauna in particular, for our staff here as we grieve the loss of one of our own, and for our students as well.  

1 comment:

Carla said...

Kate I'm so sorry to hear about the death of a colleague. It must be difficult to handle a death without family there to support and encourage.

We'll be praying.