It was our annual school Open House, and parents and students were busy mingling with faculty and staff over sodas and chai at the bandas in between the morning and afternoon classroom visit sessions. A perfectly lovely idea, but for all of us teachers who'd just finished up a long fourth week of school, Open House on a Saturday just meant a six-day week. Nevertheless, I'd made my mind up to make the best of it, schmoozing with parents and snapping photos with my new Nikon. We'd visited Dorman's that morning for coffee - so I was pleasantly caffeinated - and the afternoon waited ahead with the promise of sunning out in the back yard on one of the first pretty days we've had all year.
Mike was relaying to me information about the student FCA meeting the night before. One of our student leaders had updated him via SMS that morning with highlights of the evening, and Mike couldn't help but share the good news, even as I stood a little distracted during tea time. About a dozen high school students had made it to the meeting. One of the high school boys lead a brief devotion, followed by a student testimony. I suppose it was the sincerity of that testimony that prompted what I hear became an outpouring of stories and truth-sharing. "One of the best Bible studies we've ever had," the student correspondent had mentioned.
That same day, Mike told me he'd walked around campus and been struck by the number of groups of students gathered around teacher leaders in prayer, meeting for discipleship. A beautiful thing - and a new and even unfamiliar activity to see on our campus. He was overwhelmed.
* * * * *
20 minutes. That's all I was given for this morning's middle and high school chapel talk on "The Consequences of Sin" in our first quarter Gospel Series. I always enjoy an opportunity to lead chapel, as it offers such a great opportunity to dig into the Word and hang out with the Lord, asking Him for words and guidance in what's best to share with these students. It takes over my life a bit, but in the past it's been well worth it to see a message take form and a story tell itself.. because if I'm doing this thing correctly, it's God who takes over and does the talking. But the Consequences of Sin proved to be an imposing challenge. I myself don't relish opportunities to talk about the "tough stuff," and so I'm not surprised that this is one of those subjects that seems to have been completely abandoned in today's Church. We focus in on grace and love - the fluffy side of relationship with a Holy God. All too often, it seems we shirk away from the weighty Truth of the reality that we deserve physical, spiritual, and eternal death and separation from the God who designed and knows and loves us, and that we are not free to do as we want. We're in bondage. Slaves to our sinful nature. We've shackled ourselves willingly.
Not exactly the kind of thing I want to share with 11 to 18-year-olds. Kids I love and enjoy smiling and laughing with and encouraging. But as I took up the challenge to craft a message for these students, I found myself being transformed by the message that built itself through my research, reading, reflection, and prayer. This stuff is real and it's big and it's devastating. And if I care at all about these students, I need to expose them to the Truth. That we are filthy rags at the feet of a holy, blameless, perfect, and just God. We've offended Him deeply, and His perfect nature requires that we receive the penalty we're due. Furthermore, this "freedom" that teenagers prize so highly above all else - freedom to sin, and freedom from the restrictions of an oppressive outside force - is complete bull****. Excuse me. But it's true: that so-called "freedom" is what actually enslaves and cripples us, pulling us further into an addictive sin cycle that takes a literal miracle to break free from.
So I laid all of this out this morning. First with the middle school, then later with the high school. Beforehand, our brand new student-led worship team made their debut performance leading their peers and teachers in worship with "Revelation Song." I was undone. And I hadn't even opened my mouth to speak my message.
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty
Who was and is and is to come
With all creation I sing: Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything, And I will adore You
My hands lifted up above my head, I think I may have literally shouted the refrain. It struck me as so simple. So true. So pervasive and overwhelming. I had chills during the first session with middle school as I listened to these five students praising the Lord so sincerely and so purposefully. A quick final prayer to prepare my heart and my mouth, and I was standing before our students, showing them a clip from the Truth Project: two minutes of "evil," composed of fragments of news coverage of tragic events from the past couple of decades. Point number one: The world wants you to believe the lie that all people are essentially good at heart. It's a pretty deception - but a lie nonetheless. You are a sinner and you have offended God, injured yourself beyond repair, and have caused pain and suffering in the lives of others.
At the end of the high school chapel session, I offered them a final metaphor. I used the familiar metaphor of a courtroom: Sinful Man versus a Holy God. I laid out all the "evidence" that stands against them and referred to the dozens and hundreds of witnesses ready to testify to their "crimes" as sinners. And that's where I had to stop. Because next week, my colleague Lynne will address the issue of the "So what now?" So there's even more bad news to come. Rough couple of weeks, perhaps, but I'm praying that the Truth will sting for a while - like hydrogen peroxide bubbling in a wound. Nasty at first, but healing when we allow it to do its work.
If you've seen the recent film Inception, you'll remember Leo DiCaprio's "totem" - a simple object used as a reminder of whether he was in reality or in the alternate reality of a dream (a lie). At the end of this morning's session, I offered to my students their own totem: a nail. Nothing spiritually powerful about the object itself, but the idea was for students to grasp on to that little piece of metal and remind themselves of what's Real: that this was the consequence of their sin. Nails driven through the Perfect Lamb to pay their debt.
After we finished the session, students filed out of the chapel, headed to their second period class. As I gathered my things, a sophomore girl rushed towards me, wild-eyed. "What do I do about this, Miss Weiant?" she asked, desperately searching my face for hope. "What if I repent of my sins - what happens then?"
I looked this sweet girl in the eyes, grabbing her shoulder firmly, and in lieu of the fact that this poor girl would be left waiting another two weeks to hear the glorious message of the Gospel and the beautiful sacrifice that her Savior makes in offering to stand before God as her Defender in that heavenly "court," I offered her the truth as simply and directly as I could. Her countenance shifted immediately, relief flooding back to her face, and she beamed back at me.
Please pray for this young woman as I work in following up with her over the next couple of weeks - and pray for those like her, who have been slammed up against the wall of Truth and who are hungry for answers and hope.
* * * * *
As if any of this wasn't encouragement enough, my high school girls discipleship group met for the second time today during lunch. I cannot express how blessed I feel to be in the role of discipler in these girls' lives. Five junior and senior girls, swept up in transition and relationships and experiences and leadership and everything else high school. Five young women in the process of growing up. And I get to walk alongside them for a bit. What a tremendous honor. Two of these girls are missionary kids, two are Kenyan nationals who just joined our WNS family within the past year, and one has two non-believing parents and has made a decision for Christ during her time as a WNS student. Four are serving on the student worship team. Two are involved in FCA leadership. All are involved in community development projects. The seniors are all considering attending Christian universities and even missions and ministry as possible career paths. All are stand-out leaders, each in her own way, who are dedicated to loving the Lord and have taken a sacrificial step in pursuing this discipleship program.But these same young ladies have also already demonstrated sincere transparency. And while they join me in celebrating the honest-to-goodness revival taking place at our school, they're quite willing to share their own personal struggles with one another, calling out for prayer and encouragement. Here are some of the things they've written and shared as prayer requests:
- "My sister (6 yrs) is going through some self-esteem issues"
- "I'm feel really swamped at the moment with everything going on and I feel like I'm ignoring God and focusing on school"
- "To be more open with people & for me to accept things"
- "For my father's salvation"
- "I need help with my music. It may not look like I'm scared but I'm terrified of the world. I want to bless the world with my music, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do that. Like I'm not good enough."
- "I feel overwhelmed by the amount of expectations on me and to just be good"
- "All of my best friends EVER have left, so that He will provide new ones"
- "My mum pretty much had an emotional breakdown. Also, possible divorce coming up. Just hoping God will be with my family through this time."
- "That I will truly be able to make a difference this year."
I feel so small in my ability to be of help to these precious girls. But I'm so thankful for them and their virtually instantaneous desire for true relationship with one another [the day that Mike, our chaplain, "revealed" who would be in each group, my girls gathered together and gave hugs all around] and their willingness to be real with each other and with me. This is a gift. A challenge. A responsibility. I don't want to let these young ladies down, and I'm praying that God will use each of us in one another's lives as this year goes on. I'm praying for big things. Mighty things. And I know He's big enough for all of that and that He will be glorified, no matter what.
* * * * *
Praise the Lord - God Almighty, the King of Kings - for who He is and all He is and was and will be. Thank you, Lord, for giving me a front row seat to witness all that You have in store for this year. And thank you for considering us worthy to participate in that plan. May we glorify you in all we do. This is not the same place as it was last year, or the year before - and I praise you for taking the old and making it new. For fresh starts. For new beginnings. For revival, renewal, and refreshment in broken and dry places. You are so good.
1 comment:
I do not think for a minute that you are going to let those precious girls down. Reading your words I can see how soft and loving your heart is. Those girls are as blessed to have you in their lives as you feel to have them! Love them and keep letting God love them through you and I bet you'll be a strong influence on them to HIS glory!
Post a Comment