Friday, May 8

"D"-Day

It's officially here! Oh folks, today is the reason I've been absent from posting here for so long... Today is our opening night for the Drama production. We had our "dress rehearsal" yesterday afternoon and only got through about 2/3 of the show...but I'm not freaking out, praise the Lord. The kiddos are actually pulling it off, God bless them.

So we've got a performance tonight and then a matinee tomorrow afternoon and then I'm officially through! It's been seriously crazy, but I really love these students and they're working hard. It's been funny to see folks' reactions to some of the more bizarre props that the show calls for. One of my freshman students and his dad made "Roach City" (essentially a huge ant farm.. only for a nastier bug) and a giant penguin crate with "Caution: Live Animals" painted on the sides. And then yesterday, the mother of all props arrived: a giant, real live coffin. It's amazing what you can have made in a third-world country. The Kenyan workers and some of the students this morning gawked from a distance as Becca and I spray-painted this huge, morbid coffin gold to look more like the Egyptian mummy case it's supposed to be. The school's buzzing a little bit now after the dress rehearsal, which is exciting, too. People are excited, the actors are excited. Should be pretty fun.

And then there's the yearbook. We missed our publisher deadline last Friday and I've been too much of a wreck with the play to finish it up, so that's a goal for this weekend, too. In other news, the jack pin for my laptop completely fried itself Sunday and so I've been computer-less this whole week. Couldn't get in mid-quarter progress reports for three of my classes because they're trapped on my hard drive. Life is rough :)

Would appreciate your prayers this weekend as everything comes to a head. I'm confident that the Lord's got me covered and things'll turn out, but boy, it'd be wonderful to know I've got your support, too! Good news is, this first year of chaos is wrapping up quickly and I'll be back to the States in less than a month. I'm so anxious to see you all. In the meantime, I'm sending some love your way.. it may take a while to get across the Atlantic, but here it comes...

Have a great weekend, all!

1 comment:

Carla said...

I'm looking forward to hearing how it all turned out! I'm betting it was a major success. Congratulations on all the amazing things you've accomplished this year. Kenya is lucky to have you. :)